Tuesday, 13 January 2015

FILM REVIEW: THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING



As far as films go, most of my friends know I haven't really seen that many. I'm the kid who always replies "um, no" when asked if I've seen the latest release (or just lies and ends up in a spiral of despair when asked details about the film in question.) However, I've actually seen quite a few recently. In December I saw The Imitation Game, which was incredible and at the time in the running for the prestigious 'Elly's new favourite film award.' This weekend however, I saw The Theory of Everything. I'm not even quite sure where to begin when talking about this film, and I apologise if my grammar isn't perfect because I'm still slightly emotionally shaken up from watching it. In the best possible way.

If you haven't heard of this film, it's the true life story of world renowned English theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. The film follows his time at Cambridge and his subsequent career in physics, his relationship with his wife, and his battle with motor neurone disease. I was hooked (by hooked, I mean I forgot to open my food for the first 3/4 of the film) from the outset. The story is incredibly inspiring and very emotional. I must have cried about three times during the film, and then pretty much all the way home! I've never reacted so strongly to a film before. I can't quite describe the way it made me feel, but it has honestly changed my perspective on a lot of things. It's a wonderfully romantic yet real portrayal of an incredibly hard and very human situation, and it's been pulled off in the most tasteful way. There's been criticism that the film isn't completely true to Jane's memoirs, but regardless of this, if we view the film as a film in it's own right, it works perfectly.


Hawking is played by Eddie Redmayne, an actor who I've only seen in a few films before. I'd always regarded him as 'pretty alright' (and a strong 9), but his performance in this movie was absolutely incredible. He was so convincing throughout, and handled this most challenging of roles astouningly well. I'm so pleased that he was named best actor at the Golden Globes this weekend  I'd never heard of Felicity Jones (who plays Jane Hawking) before as I'm not the biggest film "buff" (why is that even a term?), but she also gave a brilliant performance (and is also the dream.) The two are utterly convincing and work so well together that you forget you're watching a film almost entirely.


As for the aesthetics, the film is beautiful. The costumes (always an important factor for me) are amazing. As it's set from the 1960s onwards there are a lot of turtlenecks, pretty dresses and men wearing decent outfits (boys at York, please take note.). I won't spoil anything for you but there are some absolutely aesthetically stunning scenes and I just loved the overall look of the picture.

If I'm honest, words just cannot do this film justice and so I highly recommend that you go out and see it as soon as you can. You will come out seeing the world in a whole new light. It's a really moving story of love, inner strength and responsibility which will stay with you for a long time.

"While there's life, there's hope."

Elly xxx

P.S The last few months have been great for film releases, and so I thought it would be a nice addition to my blog if I shared with you my opinions on some of the films I've seen recently. In fact, I'm thinking of starting to blog about more of the general things that I'm into rather than just limiting it to fashion and lifestyle, because I'd really like to explore other areas of blogging too. This blog is meant to be about having a chat with you guys as friends and I think it would be nice to expand my "niche". Let me know if you think this is a good idea!


follow me on:

19 comments:

  1. i can not wait to see this, the trailer looks amazing and eddie redmane is a fantastic actor! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2015/01/things-that-have-made-me-happy-recently.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this film. It was so interesting to watch the background of a great mind played so well by amazing actors.

    Jennifer Jayne xx
    jenniferjayne.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This film left me so emotionally exhausted afterwards yet it was so inspiring and I agree how it changes your outlook on life... great review!

    Andini xx
    Adventures of an Anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO interested in seeing this, but have such a hard time watching "not happy" movies... I know this one will be good... maybe I can rummage up the courage :)

    xoxo

    Kaley

    My Closet Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely need to see this! And don't worry, I don't see many of the new films either, I just hate how much the cinema charges!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see this movie so bad!! I could see it being really emotional but so good.

    Chelsea
    Chowing Down by the Bay

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the trailer of the film when I was last in the cinema, it looks so good but quite emotional! Scrolling through your blog now and loving it!

    Clothing Conscious // Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same as you! I've not really seen many films at all. Even the classic films, or those that everyone has seen. This is in my list of films to see though.

    Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to see this movie! I was torn between seeing this and Foxcatcher but after reading your review, I think I'll go and see this first. I will however, make sure I avoid eye make up on the day - thanks for the warning otherwise I'd have come out panda eyed no doubt.

    Wonderful review by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Sen this last week and love it, I cried a few times as well. It's shot so beautifully and the acting is brilliant
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been to watch a film for ages! Lovely post :)

    www.bootyfurl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got home from watching this and it moved me tears, it was so good, the story was beautiful and it really opened my eyes to a different life to the one i previously thought of stephen hawking! enjoyed reading your review :)
    x
    www.coralpaiges.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. The plot is very interesting! I would love to watch this x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The movie looks really good when I first saw the trailer I knew I would want to watch it! I can't wait to do so. By the way I really enjoyed this review thanks for posting ;) 'm on your blog for the first time but I will probably visit more often now, because it's so lovely. I think your blog is really inspiring, it will be an honor for me if you can visit mine too, and if you want to follow, it will be a pleasure to follow you back! :) <3
    ♥ my blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've been wanting to see this movie for the longest time!

    lovely blog you have here and i love the skirt you are wearing in the post before!
    xox
    Maria

    City Laundry
    Twitter | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to watch this - even more after reading this post!

    Faye x
    i wish i could wink

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, I saw this on Saturday and I when everyone was standing to leave the cinema I was sat down sobbing! I have been known to well up at films but afterwards? Never. I couldn't quite figure out why I couldn't stop! It was so powerful and inspirational. I really want to see it again already!

    Sorry for the essay of a comment! Haha.

    The Glitter Den

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, they make my day xxx